Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Pride weekend! Age of Chivalry Renaissance Faire! Such fun!

 Last weekend was really, really busy! Friday night was the Las Vegas Pride Parade in downtown Las Vegas. I worked a half day.  Before the parade, I had to stop and get a replacement battery for my car and I really needed to get my hair cut. Because of timing, it was easier to do those in the same clothes I'd worn to work but I'd brought along my clothes for pride and a folding cot to stay overnight with my kids.  They'd suggested I stay over since we were going to the pride festival the next day and I'd save the cost of fuel driving 140 miles home and back at least once that weekend.  Photos were not my strong point for this trip.

The Pride Parade was pretty amazing.  It seemed that we had the same type of group standing near us, boisterous and attractive to the parade marchers.  The people distributing swag seemed to be gravitating to the people south of us.  We had some people stop for us, though. There was a youngster just north of us, we made sure that the people gave her swag too.  

The greatest thing was knowing that our State's Governor, both US Senators and 3/4 of our US Representatives were in support of the LGBTQ+ community. Many of them were in attendance.  The Las Vegas Sun published an editorial about how the GOP candidates are shunning the LGBTQ community. Of course, their actions prove their intentions.

Saturday brought the Pride Festival. It ran from about 12 to ? but I had to ditch at around 3:30 due to a prior commitment. We did some exploring but I didn't get to see everything because of my time limitation.  The kids stayed late. On the way home, I stopped at both a donut shop and Filipino restaurant. The clerk in the donut shop complimented me on my skirt. Oddly enough, every time I've been into the donut shop, the radio playing in the location has always been tuned to a christian station. Inspirational music! Clerk liked the outfit of a transperson!  I call that a win.

Sunday was the Age of Chivalry Renaissance Fair, an annual tradition for me and my kids.  This year, they brought along friends from work. I'd med the two women at the kid's house but hadn't met one woman's significant other, Caleb, before. I was uncertain of how the new member of the group would react to me in a skirt. No reaction. They're a great bunch of people.

For all three days, I'd worn the same skirt, basically purple, white and pink stripes. Friday and Saturday, I chose a white tee shirt and Sunday I had a blouse that was more like a peasant top.

It was a great weekend.


Heather


No comments:

Post a Comment