Monday, June 19, 2023

An outing? Real and maybe travel plans, too.

 Juneteenth. Very important and historic.

I'm glad to know that it is recognized as a Federal Holiday and many states including Nevada are including it as a State Holiday.

We've come far but there is much to be done.

Outing. Well, sheeeew. There are still people who I haven't introduced to Heather. 2/3 of my kids are fully aware of me, my ex and her new husband too.  Years ago, I threatened my parents to bring Heather and I did last November.  Dad seemed to be okay with it but Mom was clearly not.  

I have friends who have seen me dressed for Halloween and/or "special" events but never for any other occasion.  I had one friend we'll call Ms. D who come into my office twice when I was dressed. First time was a Halloween at work day and the second time we were busy and I don't think she really SAW me.

Friday of last week, I was in the office and I hear a customer ask where I was. I have stopped wearing my glasses so looking at a person 20 feet away doesn't really give me a good idea of who is asking after me.  I walk over and after talking for a couple minutes, realize with whom I'm talking. We'll call her Ms. C. A mutual acquaintance of the person in the above paragraph. I'm thinking, well Ms. D has been put off by Ms. C's antics and was likely out of the socio/professional circle.  Saturday comes and I go to the group where I volunteer and toward the end of the check in period comes in Ms. C. Oh boy. I'm in boy mode. The only person in our volunteer group with whom I'm out is our pro (Ms. S) and is an ally and I'm completely comfortable with her so I am out to Ms S. for a couple months.  I do most of the initial check-in paperwork, which I'd never done before. And go to the second process which leaves Ms C. with Ms. D.  I'm around the corner, doing my thing and I hear Ms. C telling the story of seeing me Friday. Ugh.

To myself I say aloud, "my secret is out."

As volunteers, we all have tasks that we're most comfortable doing. Some do prep work, some move things from room to room. Some check in or check out. As we're all working, someone says "that Ms. C is something!" I tell stories about my previous experiences with her. She's a trip, all right!

Through the course of the day, this is what I hear about Friday: Nothing. Nothing at all. At some point, I'm working alone with Ms S. and I mention the whole "outing me" to Ms. D. I realize that I'm going to have to come out to everyone some day and I almost think it's really no big deal but I also want it to be on my terms and only on my terms.

Have a good week,

Heather.

ps.

Ms. S was talking about a recent trip she'd taken with some friends to the Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Utah.  She also said that she would like to go back soon.  I mentioned that it would be a fun trip especially if I went as Heather. The towns of Colorado City, Arizona and Hilldale, Utah are nearby.  These towns are where many members of the radical FLDS sect led by Warren Jeffs live.  I'm working at convincing my spouse to go along. I think it's going to be fun.

One more thing...I'm flying to New England for a week in August.  I'm pretty sure Heather will be going along and nearly positive she'll be flying again.

No comments:

Post a Comment