Saturday, November 19, 2016

Two weeks

The past two weeks have given me time to think. 

Who am I kidding?  Does a political party dictate my life choices?   Will Heather be stripped and shoved back into the armoire?

1.) Nobody, I am not trying to kid anyone.  I'm living the life that makes me happy.  I feel good about my choices of clothing and the way I look in some of them.  It isn't a masquerade.  It isn't a costume.  It is my preferred choice of dressing and I'm happy to say this.

2.) No.  We lived through President Obama's "death squads."  I am not going to live my life in fear.  I'm willing to drive into the big city to conduct business.  I lived in a couple of the bad neighborhoods of Las Vegas, NV and never had any kind of trouble.  My grandparents lived in a tough neighborhood.  The smart person knows to mind your own business, keep your nose clean, be a good neighbor and be friendly.  People generally won't bother their neighbors, especially if you don't have flashy things.  I will stand tall with my sisters and brothers.  We're all human beings.  My skin tone, my choice of worship/choice to not worship, my ethnic background, my sexual preference.  None of these will be changed by politics.

3.) I've thought about this more in the last two weeks than I have in the past year.  I "came out" to my spouse about a year ago and there were times that I wondered if doing so was a good idea.  Yes, without question I did the correct thing.  It has challenged some of her "Puritanical, New Englander" sensibilities but has commented on how I'm generally a happier person since coming out.  I know that the town in which I live is a bit too small and my job is too visible for me to comfortably be in the open here.  I will go out in the day on a trip to that big city, one of these days.  I think Halloween was a good ice breaker for me.    I will be working on my only real weakness, my voice.

Thanks for reading my postings!

Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment